Unlocking PEFC chain of custody certification for the furniture industry
9 December 2021 News
PEFC successfully hosted the two-day webinar on 9-10 December about PEFC chain of custody certification, designed specifically for actors in the wooden furniture supply chain, from manufacturers and traders to retailers.
The webinar welcomed hundreds of attendees from 36 countries across the two days including companies along the furniture supply chain, trade associations, consultants, NGOs, certification bodies, accreditation bodies and researchers.
Recordings of the webinars were broken into 9 modules of about 6-26 minutes each and can be watched below.
- Fabienne Sinclair, Head of Marketing.
- Linda Matole, PEFC Chain of Custody Requirements Expert.
- Lise Favre, PEFC Trademarks and Labels Requirements Expert.
- Huong Thai Maggi, Market Engagement.
- PEFC ST 2002:2020 – Chain of Custody of Forest and Tree Based Products – Requirements
- PEFC ST 2001:2020 - Trademarks Rules - Requirements
Module 1 I Introduction to PEFC
- What is PEFC? What does PEFC do? How does PEFC do it?
- What makes PEFC unique?
- Global statistics
- Benefits of PEFC forest certification
Module 2 I Management system requirements
- What is PEFC chain of custody and why it is important
- The requirements that your company must meet to ensure correct implementation and maintenance of the PEFC chain of custody process
Module 3 I Identification of inputs and declaration of outputs
- Information you need to obtain from your suppliers regarding the incoming materials or product
- The PEFC claims – what are they?
- How do materials flow through the chain of custody process?
Module 4 I Due Diligence System (DDS)
- The 5 elements of DDS: access to information, risk assessment, substantiated concerns, management of significant risk supplies, no placement on the market
Module 5.1 I Chain of custody methods - Physical separation method
Module 5.2 I Chain of custody methods - Percentage and credit method
Module 6 I Multi-site certification
- What is multi-site certification? Who is it for? How does it work?
- How can your company obtain multi-site certification?
Module 7 I Trademarks rules and requirements, labelling and database
- The scope of the PEFC trademarks, usage requirements, technical requirements, graphic requirements
- The meaning behind the PEFC labels and what your company needs to do to use them
Module 8 I How to get PEFC certified
Module 9 I Forests are Home awareness campaign
- Why this campaign? What’s in it for companies? How can you participate?
Forest are Home
PEFC conducted this in-depth webinar as part of our ongoing #ForestsareHome campaign. When furniture manufacturers choose certified wood, when retailers choose certified sources, when customers choose certified furniture, we all help safeguard the world's forests, its ecosystem and contribute to healthy local communities, local workers, and the local economy.
No matter where you are in the furniture supply chain, PEFC certification can help you make this choice. If you source and sell PEFC certified furniture products, join us today!